I have been quite active on Goodreads for a while now. There is so much to love about this site – all the options for shelving, the giveaways, integrations with online stores, and just being able to share your opinions as quick reviews without the pressure of putting together a “well-constructed” review.
But, hey, I have been using it for over three years, and there have been times when I have thought “Hmm, it would be nice if …. was available”
So, here are some features I would love to see being implemented on GR in the near future:
- The Half-Star ratings: I think this comes up as a common gripe among the users because it is just so frustrating when you have to round off a 3 and a half stars to a 4 or a 3. Or pretty much, any half-star rating. Especially, when you have those “The book was sooo good… but that ending tho..” kind of books when you really don’t want to take off an entire .
- Amazon integration for reviews: It would be great if reviews from GR are posted directly on Amazon! While I don’t mind posting it twice (it takes only a second or two to copy-paste!!), I feel this would be a pretty, uh, logical feature to implement. Goodreads is used as much as a publicity medium, as it is for sharing bookish convo and recs. Unlike Amazon, Goodreads allows you to post reviews as soon as the book is listed on the site. This allows all the readers who have got hold of ARC copies to post reviews and recommend the book. But, the downside is that there is a huge difference in the number of reviews posted on Amazon on Goodreads. It isn’t that people don’t have accounts on both sites. But the ARCs are sent out in advance – sometimes almost a year before its release. People read and post reviews on their blogs and GR but aren’t able to do the same on Amazon till the book releases. So, quite a few end up forgetting to copy-paste the review on Amazon a few months later. I am assuming this is, on some level, frustrating for the authors too because, finally, it is the number of Amazon reviews that tangibly reflects on the book’s prospects (?)
- Shelving: Yes, I know we can create shelves but it would be nice if GR considers adding two more shelves to the existing (three) default shelves: a) DNF shelf- because there are so many books that we readers give up on halfway through and would want to just take a note of it and review it anyways or maybe go through the list of DNFed books later. It is not a genre-specific “shelf-type” so I think that itself makes it a good case to consider for a default shelf . b) Giveaways shelf: because, well, it is something GR recommends when you win a giveaway so I have wondered why doesn’t GR create it automatically on winning your first GR giveaway? Or, present the user with a prompt window asking them whether they want a shelf to be created? (so that they have a choice to decline).
- WYSIWYG Editor: Well, I am not talking about hundreds of font colors and styles; but, how about one with the options that are currently available? – the five main ones would do : Bold, Italics, Underline, Blockquote and (since we are talking about reviews and GR-enabled options) Spoilers.
- Review order: This is always a bit of a mess!! When I want to see reviews in the order of the date when they are posted, I mean REVIEWS and not RATINGS!!!! I wish there was a way to filter and sort them separately!
Well, these are some features I would love to see on GR! I am sure a lot more have crept into my mind in the past year that I am not able recall right now… Is it just me or have you guys wished to see any of these features on the site? I know the half-star rating is a pretty popular request and has been discussed about plenty of times so far!!!